Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Coquina And Blue:


Post by AquarianM on Apr 24, 2004 at 1:48pm

Coquina And Blue:

The white cliffs speak a lie on the wind,
Exposed in the billions of shells hoisted out of water,
The world changes and we're stuck itching in an eye blink,
For all her long hair blows back in the wind,
And I hear Italian spoken with passion,
The forbidden language of my ghosts,
I could cry to see her swim naked in the deep blue sea,
As the statue of Virgin Mary sinks to the bottom,
Burying a lie in Coquina without even trying,
Even when there are no fish left the world will turn,
She will dive deep into azure warm and cool and profound,
Yet when the last drop of splash falls,
Only poets and God will remember her name,
And in time even the Coquina cliffs will dive in after her,
But God's interpretation of a clock,
That's something we're not speck enough to even see,
So enjoy the flying dress on the mountain top,
The black hair crawling the wind with joy,
The copper skin and words in soft Latin derived tones,
And when the bonfire's ash blows softly upon the sea,
Remember a fictitious ghost and breathe in the dust of Coquina falling,
Nothing will stop but your heart.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford
(C) 04/19/2004

Author's Comments:
Inspired by the movie "Respiro," my own past, and the things I learned while on vacation.
Coquina: The soft stone formed by eons of sea shells falling to the bottom of the sea and cementing together in a beautiful form of limestone.
This one sort of "popped out" after I watched the movie "Respiro" which is an Italian film available at Blockbuster. In it the leading lady is highly emotional and does crazy things at times, but is also endearing in a way. She looks a great deal like a young Margo Kidder (Lois Lane to Chris Reeves' "Superman") and the whole thing takes place in a village with cliffs and caves overlooking the sea, as well as boats and fishing, etc. If you watch it, do so for the scenery, culture, and chacters, and not for the plot. It's not like a typical American film - it's a rather unique Italian one. Another deeper look into a couple of lines here - my mother was adopted by an Italian immigrant couple and I grew up surrounded by that culture, but my mother refused to let "Noni & Nono" teach me Italian. She was afraid I might grow up to be a chauvanistic mafioso...*LOL* I still love hearing it, though. Probably why I keep picking up bits and pieces of Spanish - they have a very similar sound and flair, with many words in common.