Saturday, May 27, 2017

Harmonica Summer...


Post by AquarianM on Jun 30, 2007 at 1:30am

Harmonica Summer...

I’ll never forget that cracker barrel day,
A little breakfast of biscuits and gravy,
Marion blueberry pancakes and coffee,
Laughing with my Honey.

Passing the counter to pay the bill,
I saw a large pile and my thoughts quieted,
Red white and blue boxes full of silver,
Entitled Bluesband and made by Hohner.

An idea sprouted pretty as a dandelion,
I bought one up and walked out smiling,
Little boy big and blowing sweet tunes,
I’d found a harmonica come late June.

So much fun I had since that day,
I went back with money and ideas,
Bought up five more with a gleam in my eyes,
The gift of music was something I’d play.

I gave two to the neighbor boys next door,
After asking their daddy of course,
I gave one to a friend and to a bum,
Now begging is tuneful and entertaining for sure.

I gave the last to the gal down at the desk,
It turns out her nephew loves it quite dear,
Or the gal who sold them her little brother did play,
When he was little played himself off to sleep.

For the price of a nice dinner for two,
I can buy seven seven-year-old Christmas smiles,
The kind that go on in the heart forever,
Like Gabriel releasing the seven horns - but much nicer.

I’m going back every pay day,
Buying up gifts,
I’m looking forward to a city full of riffs,
By the end of Harmonica Summer.

AquarianM

By Daniel A. Stafford
© 06/30/2007