Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Set In Stone...


Post by AquarianM on Jan 17, 2007 at 11:06pm

Set In Stone...

Tiny hammer and intricate chisel,
Needles of brass and copper,
Walls of paper and cherry blossoms falling,
Silk upon my shoulders,
I set the world in stone for a calling,
Pictures of everything for a perfect price,
Years or weeks in the making,
No consequence in time,
Regardless of difficulty it is the art,
Always the art.

One must have patience to achieve the sublime.

AquarianM

(C) 01/18/2007

As I was writing this, I was thinking of the artisans of long-ago China, and the exquisitely detailed works they'd render in jade and white ivory. Stunning examples very ancient can be found in a small museum called the Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art in Elmhurst, IL I believe, and in the Jade Room at the Chicago Field Museum. This poem is for those who work the stone.

Dan




www.lizzadromuseum.org

www.fieldmuseum.org/exhibits/exhibit_sites/jades/index.html