Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Drumbeat Feet…


Post by AquarianM on Jan 3, 2008 at 12:19am

Drumbeat Feet…

I’m walking the track at the Y,
Fast paced and tired,
A thousand kids haven’t made it back to school yet,
New Year free on the basketball courts,
Dribble and shoot,
Dribble and shoot.

It’s the middle of the day my night,
And I hear the basketballs drumming,
Drumming like spirit-callers,
My eyes half close as I step to the erratic ecstatic,
Beat trance dancing I pretend it’s the savannah,
Wildebeast herds off in the distance,
Hoof-rocked and pounding stampede.

A dingo dog appears and walks with me,
Dusty trail not withstanding,
I see no lions or tigers,
Until an Aborigine man steps alongside,
Walking walking walking,
Footfall pounding the dirt with me,
Another dreamwalker.

I conjure up a snow globe,
Full of tiny wet flecks,
A nose-tickler and breath froster,
A toy so he can know snow,
He hands me a globe of hottest summer,
Full of croc breath and burning dry air,
Endless hotfooting across the burning Outback.

We smash the two together to create a balanced world,
The clock tells me to stop walking and go home.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford
© 01/03/2008