Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Blackbird Track...

 


AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford8/11/2000 9:09:26 PM
9/28/2022 3:55:52 AM
811

Blackbird Track

Walking down the railroad track,
One sunny day I was under attack,
Blackbirds didn't like me there,
So they dive-bombed me from the air.

I grabbed a handful of stones. Battle commenced.

Four or five birds at a time,
Decided my hike was a crime,
As they came swooping down,
I ducked and threw rocks up, then down.

Slowly advancing down the rails.

It seemed forever the gauntlet to run,
But when the story was done,
Not a bird had I hit,
But nary a flying twit,

Touched me.

I shook my fist and went on my way.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A Stafford
(C)2000



By: Daniel A. Stafford

Author's Comments

Madison, Wisconsin, summer 1977.
I was walking down the railroad tracks amidst all the green,
and this colony of blackbirds apparently took offense to my
passage. I fended them off with handfuls of thrown stones from the
railway bed until I was past "Their territory", but it was so twilight
zone. Reminds me of the old movie, "The Birds". They were
perched on the phone lines and poles along the way, and groups
of four or five at a time would swoop down towards my head.
Freaky!



AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford8/11/2000 9:09:26 PM
9/28/2022 3:55:52 AM
811

Comments

Sue Alliebttfly9@yahoo.comhttp://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Garden/98438/11/2000 9:17:57 PM
This poem is so funny, but not for you being attacked! I can just picture you running as fast as you can.
Janine Danielspinnys@hotmail.comwww.spinnys.com8/21/2000 1:21:31 AM
The movie "The Birds" was the first scarey movie
I ever saw and I've never forgotten it. Any birds
lined up sitting in a row remind me of this movie.
I'd be terrified if your poem happened to me. My
screaming would probably scare them off... *S*