Sunday, July 23, 2017

A Few Old Friends…

Post by AquarianM on Oct 22, 2008 at 2:07am

A Few Old Friends…

Those simple possessions we live with every day,
Things close and dear to us which can't be replaced,
Anachronisms from the time they were made,
Lose one - shopping for a replacement is heart-breaking.
A Leatherman tool worn on my hip for fourteen years,
The case's belt loop breaks unbeknownst,
As familiar as the way you comb your hair it was,
Gone in a silent act of time's curse,
I bought a new one - larger and clumsier but more capable.

A pair of shoes two years old,
A perfect fit on your feet,
Shined to a gleaming polish by my own hand,
A hundred hours of daily care,
The stitching pops between leather and sole,
No longer in "style" but still my perfect style,
Their replacements leave me less than pleased,
Fake leather you can't even polish,
Totally the wrong look and feel,
Serviceable and durable,
Regardless of size a less-than-perfect fit.

A Zippo lighter I keep in a leather pouch on my belt,
Brass encased in leather,
The patterns of years' tarnish like the back of my own knuckles,
Familiar and coordinated,
Flickable with one finger,
Not lost but irreplaceable.

It's those little things that we use every day that make our lives more defined and comfortable.

Don't even get me on the subject of people close to us.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford

© 10/22/2008