Thursday, April 06, 2017

First Brass...


Post by AquarianM on Mar 11, 2006 at 3:40pm

First Brass...

Yeah,
It hit sixty today,
Maybe even sixty five,
I can smell the new buds wanting to come out on the trees.

It was sunshine this mornin' man,
Brilliant and strong and all over town,
I came out of working third shift starving for it,
Pulled up to the tailgate of my pickup.

I threw down my jacket like a gauntlet,
Opened the black leather case like soft sweater buttons in high school,
Ran my fingers over it just to revel in the feel,
Reflections on mother of pearl and brass glowing on my face.

I put that reed to my lips and let the notes pour down on the street,
Celebrating the season in utter jubilation,
That first brass of the Spring floating out of the parking ramp,
The mystery sax of Madison and Wells is back in tune baby.

Let it blow in your ear and put chills on the nape of your neck.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford
© 03/11/2006