Friday, October 14, 2022

The Dream Bank...

 

AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford9/3/2000 9:08:48 PM
10/13/2022 9:00:28 AM
862

The Dream Bank

I started off life in a different way than many.
I was rich, but not of money, I didn't have any.

What I had were dreams.

I dreamt of being a pilot, but ended up in glasses.
I dreamt of being a marine biologist, studying sea grasses.
I dreamt of flying space ships to other stars.
I dreamt of inventing rockets that would take us to Mars.

People laughed, scoffed, and I surrendered these dreams.

None of them were impossible, just impossible for me.
To everyone that knows me, I'm part of the ordinary.
Those I love can't fathom that I might do the spectacular,
Because I'm just Dan, in their every day vernacular.

Each dream given over to this, another withdrawal.

Those we love often feel a need to keep us in check,
Because they fear we might leave them behind, a speck?
Never quite believing in the accomplishments of those we love,
It's just John or Jane, no angel from above!

What happens when our dream bank is empty?

The less I have to look forward to, the older it makes me feel.
When you're a younger soul, the whole world's a new deal.
It's easy to imagine doing anything, so much time awaits you yet,
But when you're at middle age, you'll take what time you can get.

It's so easy to give in, give up on dreams.

But when your account runs dry, what is life then for?
Take advice from one who's learning, swim the dreamer's shore.
Never give up anticipating more to live to do,
Because when you have no dreams left, there's no heart left in you.

Dream big, dream small, but dream forever more.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford
(C)2000

Author's Comments

One of those revelation moments in life hit me today. I can just see us, all with a bank of  anticipation, and if we let the joy, dreams, and hope go away, then suddenly we ARE old, with no hope left, and empty. As long as we have things to look forward to, and loved ones who will share them with us instead of "keeping us in reality check", then we have hope and purpose in living, a reason to smile and go on.

AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford9/3/2000 9:08:48 PM
10/13/2022 9:00:28 AM
862

Total Comments: 2

Comments

APoetsPerspective9/4/2000 4:09:59 AM
As a dreamer myself, I can personally relate to this one. Wonderful and well put.

-j
Janine Danielspinnys@hotmail.comwww.spinnys.com9/4/2000 4:31:31 PM
I say "YAY" for this one Dan and ditto to what John said. I'll never give up my hopes and dreams.... never!...*S*