Friday, October 14, 2022

Training Revelations...

 

AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford9/6/2000 3:00:26 AM
10/7/2022 6:12:08 PM
832

Training Revelations

It's dark, standing along the rails,
And a small crowd of work bound strangers assails,
My need for quiet reflection alone,
Sitting reading on the train, introspection like a stone,
The dark green glass with vague reflections of the world,
Dim yellow train lights in the night unfurled.
The Hispanic family across the aisle speaks a jovial tangle,
Rapid fire Spanish, a few words understood from my angle.
The silent strangers, masked in their indifferent expressions.
Three young adults, two women barely women, glaringly women,
Cool young Dude along for the ride.
The talkative one in brown leather pants laughs and jokes,
Teasing Dude with verbal lightning strokes.
Their slick clothes, perfect make up screaming too loud,
A message sent unmeant, or so the game must appear.
Then the question arrives upon my ears,
Fruit of youthful giggled fears,
"Do you think we'll be forty and feel like we're young?"
Answer screams to the tip of my tongue,
And screeching, stops, teetering on the brink.
I've another year & a half yet, before I've earned saying what I think.
I settle into the worn brown leather, pretending indifference.
It's not a matter of riding the fence.

I'm just a big kid, stuck in thirty eight year old clothes.

The train squeals down the rails into the subterranean station,
Shards of broken concrete and dirty urban discards, elation.

I'm too young to answer that.

Yet.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford
(C)2000

Author's Comments

Just one of those moments that makes you sit up and take notice, like a scene from some dark urban
movie...fading away.


AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford9/6/2000 3:00:26 AM
10/7/2022 6:12:08 PM
832