Saturday, November 07, 2020

Faerie City Lights

AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford7/6/2000 8:07:20 PM
8/14/2020 1:19:11 AM
805

Faerie City Lights

Walk in the doors there along the way,
Oh, maybe about sunset today,
Between the giant brass lions,
and get somehow past gates of iron.

Shhhhh! Quietly peek.

Step quietly in the dark lest they hear,
and as the bottom of the marble stairs appear,
You will hear tiny tinkling laughing voices,
And be certain to contain any noises.

If you listen closely to hear them speak.

See a light peek through a crack in the wall,
A tile pops out and open without a fall,
And a tiny faerie princess three inches small,
Spreads her wings and flies up over it all.

Trailing glowing motes of faerie dust in her wake.

A gilt silver and golden silk gown,
Tiny Prince and Princess a night on the town.
And the spectacle would make the museum keeper frown,
But the little folk will make the merry go 'round.

Wee little instruments that tiny hands play.

You can hear the music in the tiny town,
Victorian houses full of laughter and joy,
And parties galore in the hall all around,
Glass faced victorian rooms in perfect miniature.

Magic spells craft visual delights.

Tiny rainbows dance over miniature marble floors,
And crystal horses sparkle in perfect parade,
Stars twinkle in circles around every head and more,
And tiny musicians play sweet serenades.

Lilliput dances 'til dawn.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford
(C) 07/06/2000

Author's Comments

I just spent two hours at the Chicago Art Museum today with my son. The first thing we saw? There is an exhibit there, done by a woman who's name I cannot remember, but who's work I shall never forget. Perfect little portions of Victorian houses and renaissance castles, living rooms, bedrooms, a marble bath, grand stairwells, tiny gardens, Chinese and Japanese homes, and a
grand cathedral in a size such that a foot in real life is an inch in this incredibly beautiful miniature city, a mixture of London, Paris, Amsterdam, Beijing, Tokyo, Venice, Chicago, and Rome. A miniature world set in the 16th through 19th centuries. It is something you must see to believe. I couldn't help but picture the wee folk filling it with dance and song and romance in the secret hours... And so I conjure a party just for my friend Spinny.

Library Home
AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford7/6/2000 8:07:20 PM
8/14/2020 1:19:11 AM
805
AuthorEmailWeb
Daniel A. Staffordaqmstaffo@mailbag.comwww.mailbag.com/users/aqmstaffo/index.html

Total Comments: 2

Comments

Daniel A. Staffordaqmstaffo@mailbag.comhttp://www.artic.edu/aic/books/subminiature.html7/6/2000 8:56:55 PM
Those interested can find the Thorne Collection of Miniature Rooms at the web address shown as my homepage on this note:
http://www.artic.edu/aic/books/subminiature.html
Janine Danielspinnys@hotmail.comwww.spinnys.com7/7/2000 4:28:45 PM
Thank you Dan for creating such a pretty party for me. I've got a smile on my face and feel like I was the "Belle of the Ball". I snuck out of my hiding place and sat in the middle of that  floor and watched as the fairies danced and flew all around me. My laughter joined their tiny tinkles and their magic spun songs around my heart.

I'm still breathing fast.....be still my beating heart!