Saturday, November 14, 2020

The Great Badger Race

AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford7/24/2000 10:26:02 AM
9/4/2020 11:40:00 PM
753

The Great Badger Race



High school Freshman in springtime.
Afternoons that were free to be mine.
Shining red motorcycle, vast green field across the street.
Riding like the wind upon two wheels, soon to meet.
Small creature of fierce heart,
Never needed a head start.
Waiting by the fence post half across the field,
And racing to the badger hole against the demon on wheels.
Side by side we'd run on those sunny spring days,
We must've had twenty or so replays.
He'd always win by disappearing into the ground,
And I'd look forward to the next round.
As I rode off for the green trails along the tracks,
My mind would take all different tacks.
I remember you, Mister Badger you won.
But I think both of us lived in the sun.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford
(C) 07/24/2000

Author's Comments

I had a red Kawasaki 100cc street / trail bike in junior high and through high school. There was a badger living across the street from the old farm house we lived in on Troy Drive in Madison, Wisconsin back then in 1977 and early 1998. He was both my nemesis and in a strange way, my friend. I hope he still lives there.

Library Home
AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford7/24/2000 10:26:02 AM
9/4/2020 11:40:00 PM
753
AuthorEmailWeb
Daniel A. Staffordaqmstaffo@mailbag.comwww.mailbag.com/users/aqmstaffo/index.html

Total Comments: 2

Comments

ART PAUL SCHLOSSERartpaul@mailcity.comhttp://www.unsigned-music.com/html/body_art_paul_schlosser.html7/24/2000 3:36:12 PM
I could really relate to this poem whenever I'm walking by trees or railroad tracks or am in someone's garden. This really has feeling.
Daniel A. Staffordaqmstaffo@mailbag.com5/15/2001 2:29:43 AM
I have since learned that the field where Mr. Badger made his home, And across the street from where I once made mine, has been converted into community garden plots. There apparently was quite a political battle over whether or not to build/develop the land, and the gardeners won. It makes my heart glad.