Thursday, October 22, 2020

Cruisin' Plainfield


 

AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford7/27/2000 8:58:30 PM
10/12/2020 9:16:28 AM
949

Cruisin' Plainfield

Cruisin' Plainfield:

Plainfield, Illinois. A small town at the edge of a giant, reaching for identity.
Slightly slower place in time, small town feeling like home, I find, for me.
Takes me back through the years, nostalgic feelings holding free reign.
Summer in another time, another world restored from which I cannot abstain.

Bass rumble of American V8 Iron, gleaming chrome and the smoothest colors.

A thousand trips to yesterday rumble down her streets on Cruise Night,
Every Tuesday from May to September we remember by sight.
Camaros, GTO's, Mustangs, Thunderbirds, Impalas, Shoeboxes.
Everything from a Model T to this year's PT Cruiser carry foxes.

Every man's teenage dreams reverberate or roar down the main drag.

Lockport Street houses hundreds ogling over two hundred beautiful rides.
Gleaming, screaming, throbbing steel chariots doing graceful glides.
We love them and admire them and adore them truly,
When you put your foot in it and sound a bit unruly.

My son and I both stand together and cheer wide-eyed.

White headlights, red blue-dotted taillights, dreamy reds, whites and blues.
Candy Apple Red Fury, Gleaming Pearl White Electra 225 I'd choose.
Aqua Teal '66 Convertible GTO in immaculate white trim,
Champagne '57 Chevy, Stingray Corvettes, white-wall and chrome rim.

The Model T owner gave my boy a seat, then hand cranked the T.

Old Lou rides off into the sunset in a 1914 vintage machine.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford
(C)2000


AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford7/27/2000 8:58:30 PM
10/12/2020 9:16:28 AM
949
AuthorEmailWeb
Daniel A. Staffordaqmstaffo@mailbag.comhttp://www.mailbag.com/users/aqmstaffo/index.html

Total Comments: 1

Comments

Janine Danielspinnys@hotmail.comwww.spinnys.com7/29/2000 9:24:13 AM
Dan, I felt like I was standing next to you
and your son, cheering loudly too. I've seen
something like this and can remember how
exciting it was. I loved the sound of all those
engines as they went passed.