Friday, October 30, 2020

Floating Away

AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford6/25/2000 9:29:40 PM
9/17/2020 7:34:02 AM
995

Floating Away

As I lay upon the beach, staring into the setting sun,
And warm breezes waft over me, as the day is gently done,
And the rhythm of the gently washing waves,
Reaching up to tickle my toes with soft fingers of blue-white foam,

I dream of a place far away.

The kindling of a camp fire, lit upon the golden sands,
Snapping and crackling, a time without demands.
I hear the voices of seagulls, crying over head,
And see the paint brush of our Lord, in a sky of golden red.

My mind drifts like a bird free of fetters.

Tiny puffs of gold lined clouds decked in shades of glowing orange,
and the sight of Venus, the first of wanderers and hope of lovers,
First speck upon the twilight sky, twinkling bright point of light,
Frames magic soon to grace the night.

I see your smiling form dancing over the waves.

So as the sun reaches down, to meet Poseidon's domain,
And says a watery good night to us, in the waves washing refrain,
And the sparkles of the stars, jewels of the night,
Begin their dancing fair, yes do grace our sight.

Can you hear the call of the flame?

Washing out colors, the moon rise full and bright,
Reflected from a calmer sea, now flat as glass to sight,
And the soft glow of the Milky Way, seeps gloriously across the sky,
I'll thank you kindly to drift with me, as I let magic fly.

A candle flickering in the salty breeze.

I'll dream of tiny Pegasus, fitting in the palm of my hand,
and laughing faerie goddesses, barely three inches they stand.
And as they flit away, rings of light shooting 'round my head,
They laugh in a merrily tinkling way, tiny peals and happy words said.

A pretty dream to grace our minds.

A mermaid swimming gracefully, down the river of moonlight upon the sea,
And a laughing leprechaun, free of rainbow duty, laughing jig I see.
Soon the candle will fade, just the campfire left,
But a lightness of spirit lingers, and refuses to increase it's heft.

Smile as you float away to the land of dreams.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford
(C) 06/25/2000

Author's Comments

A party on the beach? let's grace it with imagination. What's life without a moment of magic, sprung from the middle twilight?


AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford6/25/2000 9:29:40 PM
9/17/2020 7:34:02 AM
995
AuthorEmailWeb
Daniel A. Staffordaqmstaffo@mailbag.comwww.mailbag.com/users/aqmstaffo/index.html

Total Comments: 3

Comments

Janine Danielspinnys@hotmail.comwww.spinnys.com6/25/2000 11:27:12 PM
Dan, I was sitting here reading this poem and saying (out loud) wow...wow...WOW! This poem is SO beautiful! You're talking about so many things that I love. WOW! You're good. I wish I could write them like you...*S*
Daniel A. Staffordaqmstaffo@mailbag.com6/26/2000 11:13:48 AM
Janine, I have a little secret to tell you. Your work I was reading brought this inspiration my way. Your work is so gracefully done that I could see no need of you to write like me, but would rather you write like you. I am very glad to see your poetry here near mine, it's like two friends dancing with words from across opposite ends of the Earth and laughing a merry jig. If you wrote your poems just like I write mine, or I just like you, it would be like a dancer with a mirror, nor half so fun. So please, just keep writing like you. You do a beautiful job of it, I'll have you know! Now I must be off....to read some more!
Claudklugecc7/19/2000 10:47:04 PM
Hi

It occurred to me that as poets we tend to be somewhat self-centered at times and thereby miss a lot of good things that others have to offer. I, therefore, have undertaken to read and comment on all the poems posted on the 50 most veiwed and 50 most recent catagories. I can find some good in the poorest of poetry and something to critisize in the best of poetry. The project may take some time but the fact that you are reading this should indicate that I've read this piece and enjoyed, at least, some if not all of what you ‘ve written. I'll leave the judging to the experts. It.s enough for me to know the you cared enough to share your work with us all. I would also encourage you all to share your thoughts with me and all the others that have contributed to this website.

Just remember:

A SONG IS NOT A SONG ‘TIL YOU SING IT
A BELL IS NOT A BELL ‘TIL YOU RING IT
LOVE IS NOT PUT IN YOUR HEART TO STAY
LOVE IS NOT LOVE ‘TIL YOU GIVE IT AWAY

Claud