Friday, October 23, 2020

Lost Silk Slippers And Dreams

 

AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford5/17/2000 11:25:10 AM
9/21/2020 8:08:23 AM
894

Lost Silk Slippers And Dreams

To my old friend,

I know the thinking. I know the feeling. 

I have very, very much been in the same falling apart rotten pair of shoes, the bear traps that claw at you. 

All I can say is that time will rust them away enough for you to step free, even though the solid iron grasps you now and appears immutable. 

Someday, you will hang those shoes in a corner of your closet, 

And you will see them once in awhile, 

And remember when they were silk slippers before they grew their teeth, 

As you turn and realize what a wonderful Lady stands before you. 

I give you this spell, 

I make you this prophesy. 

But before it can come true, 

You must fulfill your period of mourning for the death of the silk slippers you once wore. 

This is because, 

When we lose one we love so much, 

And they are gone from us, 

It matters not the means, 

It is still the death of a cherished part of our life. 

I remember my grief. 

It still can bring me down at times if I dwell in it's memory too long. 

I feel sorrow at seeing you in these straits. 

But I know that now, I am still alive, 

And there is a joy in my life greater than before. 

Since you my friend are still alive, 

You'll feel like living once more. 

That is when life becomes possible to honestly be in again. 

Time is a healer. 

Wishing is not. 

Friendship is the bandage that binds your wounds. 

Your own intelligence is the immune system that heals them over time. 

None of them work instantly, 

And for that I am sorry. 

I had my days in the bear claw trap, 

The one made in the forging fires of a lost love. 

And at times, 

I remember my own silk slippers and smile, 

Hoping they are faring well, 

Irrespective of old pain, 

But mindful of joys I was allowed to live. 

And live again.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford

(C) 05/17/2000

Author's Comments

I'll be glad when you smile again, my friend.


AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford5/17/2000 11:25:10 AM
9/21/2020 8:08:23 AM
894
AuthorEmailWeb
Daniel A. Staffordaqmstaffo@mailbag.comwww.mailbag.com/users/aqmstaffo/index.html

Total Comments: 2

Comments

Mia JenningsMia@pconline.comhttp://www.pconline.com/~cwj/miwha.htm5/18/2000 12:11:40 PM
This poem was absolutely beautiful, and touched me deeply.

Thank you!
Mia
Claudklugecc7/19/2000 10:31:14 PM
Hi

It occurred to me that as poets we tend to be somewhat
self-centered at times and thereby miss a lot of good things
that others have to offer.
I, therefore, have undertaken to read and comment on all
the poems posted on the 50 most veiwed and 50 most recent
catagories. I can find some good in the poorest of poetry
and something to critisize in the best of poetry.
The project may take some time but the fact that you are
reading this should indicate that I've read this piece and
enjoyed, at least, some if not all of what you ‘ve written.
I'll leave the judging to the experts. It.s enough for me to
know the you cared enough to share your work with us all.
I would also encourage you all to share your thoughts with
me and all the others that have contributed to this website.
Just remember:
A SONG IS NOT A SONG ‘TIL YOU SING IT
A BELL IS NOT A BELL ‘TIL YOU RING IT
LOVE IS NOT PUT IN YOUR HEART TO STAY
LOVE IS NOT LOVE ‘TIL YOU GIVE IT AWAY

Claud