Friday, October 30, 2020

The Detective Instinct

 

AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford6/18/2000 2:09:11 AM
10/30/2020 6:35:12 PM
867

The Detective Instinct

There's a nosy nose hangin' on my face.
I can't quite wait to retrace,
The times that once lived in grace.

Obscurity hides things from view,
Tiny fascinations not many knew,
Large details consistently let slide,
I'll find them out and do it with pride.

The foundations were quite a stir,
A controversial story, I tell you sir!
Only the old ones know how deep they run,
But digging them up is really quite fun!

Helpful people see the curiousity,
With a pointer or two, I just might see.
If I can find the truth I'll bring it to light,
But another little piece fell into place tonight.

Truth be told, it's a fascinating tail,
But I have to wonder why no one's hot on it's trail.
The elegant gentlemen designed it right,
But while they were building it, they caused quite a fright!

The story is cold, long covered in dust,
Or maybe ashes left from when the O'Leary cow did the bust.
Rising from the ashes like a Phoenix unknown,
Overshadowed by the ring where the hats were thrown.

I tell you, if there are pieces left, I'll find them yet,
And I'll write a story someday I bet.
Just wait!
I have a legend to create!

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford
(C) 06/18/2000

Author's Comments


I just located a story that confirms the Tribune was located at 7 South Dearborn. The original Tribune Building burned in the fire....and everyone had thought it was fireproof if anything was. It wasn't. There's a picture of the burned out hulk at the corner of Dearborn & Madison. It went up in flames in 1871. I wonder what was there before Holabird & Roche built the building I'm
researching? There's a thirty year gap, 1871 to 1902. And there's a lot of reference books to dig through.....*Grin* A mystery indeed. The Tribune had a contest to design the Tribune Tower in 1922...and that building certainly overshadowed the places the great newspaper lived before it. 95% of what I've found so far begins and ends with the tower & the famous contest. Holabird & Roche had an entry...but I don't think it won. I guess I'll have to keep reading.


AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford6/18/2000 2:09:11 AM
10/30/2020 6:35:12 PM
867
AuthorEmailWeb
Daniel A. Staffordaqmstaffo@mailbag.comwww.mailbag.com/users/aqmstaffo/index.html