Thursday, October 22, 2020

The Call Of The Wheel


AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford10/5/2000 4:27:49 PM
10/10/2020 5:12:40 AM
743

The Call Of The Wheel

Can you feel the pull?
The need to escape the endless samness and discover?
The silence, the radio, the rushing sound of tires.
Start again in a place that's new.

Long drives can spark the mind.

Internal conversations with my soul,
Long meditations as I roll.
Country stations and Paul Harvey's story,
And vistas along highways, American glory.

The hypnotic eating of distance goes on and on.

I wonder as the scenery goes by,
I see a bird or flowers and sigh.
I wonder what it must be like to be,
Always in one place, all the changes to see.

What that spot is like, season to season, year to year.

The feeling of the unknown to be met,
New friends and new sights,
New thoughts, new words, new night lights.
A world more lived in to see yet.

Now I'm more settled in place.

Weekend rides to see a new place,
Discovery craved wherever I can find a trace,
Something new in time and space,
But my roots aren't so hard to face.

Ride on, learn on, love the world, poet.

AquarianM

By: Daniel A. Stafford
(C)2000

Author's Comments

All of my life, I've never stayed in the same place more than four years since early childhood. Long trips to new places around the United States are like a familiar old friend, always introducing new places and things into my life. Now that I've bought a home and settled much more solidly, I find myself craving new settings now and then, like an avenue of growth and restoral is missing. Sometimes it feels like living the way I did was like having a "reset" button for life. If it wasn't so great where you were, you just hit the highway and tried again in a new place. Of course, coping with change is maybe a touch easier for it, too. I think this old pattern makes it easier for me to contemplate changes on a large scale in my life than for someone who grew up with a more "stable" pattern, always living in the same place, never being gone for more than a few weeks at most.....just my theory.



AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford10/5/2000 4:27:49 PM
10/10/2020 5:12:40 AM
743
AuthorEmailWeb
Daniel A. Staffordaqmstaffo@mailbag.comwww.mailbag.com/users/aqmstaffo/index.html

Total Comments: 2

Comments

APoetsPerspective10/6/2000 8:10:38 AM
Nice work Daniel,

I've often thought that the gift of a poet is to be able to see the same world, but from a slightly different perspective, be it time or place. From your words, you've travelled the places that other do, but wonder at the sights.

And put to words wonderfully,

-j
Janine Danielspinnys@hotmail.comwww.spinnys.com10/7/2000 12:31:54 AM
Can I just say ditto to this poem Dan? Did you say no, okay, then I'll elaborate... haha. Remember I had a father who was in the RAAF? We moved a lot too and after I left home this trend continued right up until I moved here where I'm living now. Buying a house tends to stop this wanderlust. But it doesn't stop the feeling that a person should move on. The good side is that you get to experience a lot. This poem expresses it beautifully... that feeling. Another great creation from you.