Friday, October 23, 2020

Going Back There

 

AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford5/16/2000 12:20:41 AM
9/27/2020 8:40:49 AM
830

Going Back There

I can't capture you, you're gone.
I miss you, and it's been so long.
You were my companion, right there by my side.
Do you remember, how fun it was to ride?

I turn and see a smiling face, reflected in your youth.
We rode in the sunlight then, or raining, it's the truth.
Our largest care was getting there, just because we could.
Not far remove from sunshine days, sailing tiny boats of wood.

It's all there in my mind, our never forgotten days.
You made it much more fun, in many, many ways.
Floating down the creek, in our rubber boats.
Chasing magic, living magic, hoping yet to float.


Your father took us all away, for naturalistic fun.
Little brothers, you and me, we made the down river run.
Water there was so clear, yet we couldn't see.
How hard, how difficult, growing up would be.

All for the fun. The races lost and won.
Bicycles and wind up toys, until the setting sun.
There was magic, a place, a time, when we owned all the world.
Our fates since then have intervened, time and distance unfurled.

There is one thing that you should know, and it's true until the end.
There is a special person in this world, I'll always call my friend.
You know the early heart of me, you know my roots and all.
I hope that friends we will always be, winter, spring, and fall.

In my mind and heart of hearts, I'm going back there.
In the deepest parts of me, I remember the summer fair.
In the sunshine as we were, and as we still should be.
But the best part will be the times, you're laughing there with me.


By: Daniel A. Stafford

(C) 05/16/2000

Author's Comments

This is dedicated to my friend since 7th grade, Luis. We haven't had a lot of time together in the last several years.
I miss it. I miss us being so care free and having so much fun with so few worries. I miss us laughing together
most of all. I know we will again.


AuthorDate Entered/ModifiedViews
Daniel A. Stafford5/16/2000 12:20:41 AM
9/27/2020 8:40:49 AM
830
AuthorEmailWeb
Daniel A. Staffordaqmstaffo@mailbag.comwww.mailbag.com/users/aqmstaffo/index.html